The DOST-PCHRD Undergraduate Thesis Grant in Natural Products provides fund support to all undergraduate students who will conduct their thesis on natural products. The program aims to sustain a research culture in natural products to increase the number of research and later on build a pool of researchers/experts specializing in the field. The program supports the Tuklas Lunas (Drug Discovery and Development) program of the Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (DOST-PCHRD) which aims to develop safe, effective, and affordable alternative drugs from the country’s natural resources.
Thesis grants will be given to two (2) undergraduate entries per region (subject to availability of funds). After completion of the project, a competition will be held for selected qualified students to recognize their innovative work on natural products.
Who can apply?
All undergraduate students of Pharmacy, Chemistry, Nursing, and Health and Allied Sciences who have thesis proposals on natural products may apply. The proposed thesis study must use plants indigenous in the region. The project must be completed a year after receiving the grant.
How to apply?
Applicants should submit the following documents to the Regional Health Research and Development Consortium (RHRDC):
- Duly accomplished prescribed research proposal form with college seal
- Endorsement letter from the institution signed by the head of the university and the college dean
- Soft copy of the proposal (word format)
- Hard copy of the proposal using A4 paper (3 copies)
- Certificate of plant authentication
- Appropriate clearances:
- Bureau of Animal Industry clearance for studies involving animal subjects
- Biosafety Clearance for studies involving genetic engineering and pathogenic organisms
- National Commission on Indigenous Peoples Clearance for studies involving Indigenous Peoples
- Gratuitous Permit from Biodiversity Management Bureau for studies involving collection of flora and fauna from DENR Protected Areas
- Ethical clearance for studies involving human subjects
- Curriculum vitae of the students and adviser
The research proposals will be rated based on the following criteria:
- Technical merit
• Objectives are specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound
• The study design supports the objectives
• The study sample and methodology are appropriate
- Data management
• The plan for data collection is clearly described
• Quality control procedures for data collection are in place
• Statistical analysis is well described
• The study addresses an important health problem
• The study contributes to the advancement of scientific knowledge
- Proponent/institution’s capacity
• The investigators are qualified and appropriately trained to carry out the study
• The proposed study is appropriate to the experience level of the investigators
• The implementing/cooperating institution is capable of carrying out the proposed study
- Two (2) thesis proposals will be selected in each region. Researchers will receive a grant amounting to a maximum of Fifty Thousand Pesos (P 50,000.00).
- The thesis grant will be deposited to the bank account of the thesis adviser and will be liquidated after the completion of the study
- A Memorandum of Agreement will be signed between the students, adviser, head of the institution, and DOST-PCHRD
- The grant must be expended as allocated in the approved line-item budget
Six (6) grantees will be selected as finalists to present their studies during the Philippine National Health Research System (PNHRS) week celebration. The top three (3) presentors will receive the following prizes:
|First prize = P 30,000.00||P 20,000.00 for the student|
|P 10,000.00 for the adviser|
|Second prize = P 22,000.00||P 15,000.00 for the student|
|P 7,000.00 for the adviser|
|Third prize = P 15,000.00||P 10,000.00 for the student|
|P 5,000.00 for the adviser|
|Consolation prize||P 5,000 per group|
Finalists will receive a plaque of recognition.
Schedule of Activities
|Call for Applications||March to May 2021|
|Deadline of submission to the consortium||May 31, 2021|
|Endorsement of shortlisted entries to DOST-PCHRD||June 11, 2021|
|Evaluation of thesis proposals by the Selection Committee
and Provision of grants to selected grantees
|June to July 2021|
|Conduct of study||August 2021 to May 2022|
|Submission of completed studies to DOST-PCHRD||June 3, 2022|
|Selection of oral presenters by the Selection Committee||June to July 2022|
|Oral Presentation and Announcement of Winners||August 2022|
For inquiries, please email email@example.com.